The GQ is Looking for a New General Manager. Apply Now!
Location: Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria
The American Employee Recreation Association (AERA) is an association operated under the guidance of a Board of Directors. AERA operates the Guest Quarters (Hotel, Bar, and Restaurant), the Commissary, Recreation Facilities, Crescent Café at the U.S. Consulate General, and a School Bus Transportation Service. The General Manager serves as the chief operating officer of AERA and he/she reports to the Board of Directors.
The General Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Liaison with Board of Directors:
- Implements the policies and operating procedures of the Board of Directors.
- Attends meetings of the Board and offers a professional opinion on matters under discussion, making suggestions or recommendations for changes within his/her scope of operations. The GM is not a voting member of the Board.
- Seeks Board approval for any expenditure over $1,000.
- Communicates regularly with the Board, outside of the monthly meetings, through email or other means on relevant matters.
- Administers the Association’s general business; forecasts fiscal, personnel and plant needs; budgets for operations; and manages the membership.
- Work with the other Managers to prepare and submit to the Board a budget.
- Work with the Financial Manager to direct the finances of the Association and initiate the methods and procedures that will result in the financial position desired by the Board.
- Work with the Financial Manager to ensure nonscheduled or unannounced cash counts of all petty cash and fund accounts are being conducted at least once per month by the Board Treasurer or other Board member and irregularities and variances are noted. There should also be a periodic updating of the signatures of the fund holders.
- Work with the Financial Manager to ensure that all financial statements and reports are prepared and submitted on time and the information contained therein has been verified as correct.
- Work with the Financial Manager to schedule and make sure that an independent audit is being performed at least once per year, and that attempts to comply with the recommendations are being instituted and a copy of the report and compliance measures are forwarded to A/OPR/CR.
- Work with the Financial Manager to ensure overall compliance with A/OPR/CR policies regarding all additional aspects of financial planning not mentioned above including procurement and provision of services.
- Serve as head of AERA Management Team including Financial Manager and Assistant Financial Manager
- Hold regular meetings with the Managers and staff to review weekly activities and promote a team environment.
- Supervise the various department heads and making the necessary personnel or operational changes for the efficient operation of the Association.
- Resolve interdepartmental disputes
- Supervise all Managers and employees of AERA.
- Hire personnel, make work assignments, review the hiring selections of the other Managers, and discharge employees when the need arises.
- Write directives; prepare manuals; plan work schedules; and define the day-to-day policies for the Association employees.
- Adhere to the personnel policies and standards of conduct as defined in the AERA employee handbook.
Inventory and Controls:
- Ensure the foodservice operation is periodically reviewed through unannounced checks to ensure that portion control, cleanliness, employee health, and sanitation procedures are followed.
- Develop a sound internal control system to deter employee and customer theft, track inventory and funds, and to provide overall safeguards of all of the association assets.
- Work with the Management team to inventory all non-expendable equipment at least annually.
- Create a schedule for physical inventories and ensure that it is adhered to for all expendable equipment, supplies, and merchandise. In addition, i
- Install an inventory control system with periodic spot checks being conducted for accuracy and compliance.
- Maintain and improve where appropriate the standards and quality of the merchandise, services, facilities, equipment, and employee-customer relations throughout AERA operations.
- Ensure that the Association is in compliance with its own procurement policy and procedures.
- Maintain a register on the sale of luxury items (such as tobacco, perfume, liquor products, or other goods subject to black marketing/pilferage) and these same items will be monitored for unusually large or frequent purchases.
- Manage a comprehensive list of membership and providing updated copies to the Board as requested.
- Communicate with the Membership about events and activities as needed via email or other media.
- Promote new membership and ensuring ensure all membership applications are filled out and submitted properly.
- Ensure that new members are oriented to the rules and regulations of AERA and the policies governing the use of all AERA-operated facilities such as the Guest Quarters and adjoining Recreational Facilities (pool, gym, tennis court, basketball court, etc.)
- Ensure that a periodic review of the membership list occurs with a special emphasis on the validity of all memberships.
Long Term Planning:
- Oversee and implement long term strategic planning
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, operations management, business management, accounting, or related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in management, operations, and leadership.
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash-flow management.
- Ability to build consensus and positive relationships among managers, business partners, and employees.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint, and financial software
- Strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize/work independently
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to identify and resolve issues
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple priorities
Deadline: June 8, 2020.
Contact: Interested candidates, please send resume to: Ms. Thang Carpenter (Interim AERA General Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Mobolaji (AERA HR Assistant) at email@example.com.